Research, Scientific Breakthroughs, & Caregiver Tips
How Is Encephalitis Prevented?
The best prevention strategy for encephalitis is avoiding the infections that may cause the condition.
To protect yourself from the common viruses that cause encephalitis, take these steps:
- Vaccinate yourself and your children against common viruses such as measles, mumps, rubella, and chickenpox. If you’re traveling to foreign destinations, ask your doctor if you need vaccinations against locally prevalent viruses, bacteria, or protozoa.
- Wash your hands and practice good hygiene to prevent the spread of viruses. Teach your children these practices, too.
- Don’t share utensils, food, or beverages.
To guard against tick- or mosquito-borne encephalitis, these precautions are recommended:
- Wear long sleeves and long pants when you’re outside, especially in areas of tall grass and between dusk and dawn.
- Use insect repellents and insecticides.
- Avoid wet areas where mosquitoes are common and don’t allow standing water to collect around your home.
Make a Donation, Make a Difference
Your Donation Supports Crucial Brain Research
We have a direct connection with scientists so we are privy to projects in all stages of research. This gives us the insight to identify projects and allocate the dollars needed to find cures. Donate generously today to make a difference for future generations and your loved ones.
YOUR DONATION SAVES LIVES & BRINGS US CLOSER TO A CURE.
You Are Not Alone
For you or a loved one to be diagnosed with a brain disease or disorder, is overwhelming, and it leads to a quest for support and answers to very important questions. ABS has built a safe, caring and compassionate community for you to share your journey, connect with others in similar situations, learn about breakthroughs, and to simply find comfort.